Friday, November 14, 2008

Montessori Schools

I picked Montessori schooling as the type of schooling that interested me most because the independent but structured style. Montessori schooling was based on the ideas of Maria Montessori who believed that children teach themselves. They learn through interaction with other students and while working together. I also like how they focus on the “children’s perceptual, motor, intellectual, and social skills” ( McNergney, p. 198). They use specific materials to encourage learning. I think that Montessori schools are an asset to education, though they may not be right for everyone, they definitely have a great outlook. The idea that children educate themselves though experiences, trial and error really makes sense. When I look back to my childhood, I don’t remember my classes; I remember my experiences while interacting with others, so the whole idea of learning through experience does make sense.
McNergney, Education: The Practice and Profession of Teaching
American Montessori Society, http://www.amshq.org/schools.htm

No comments: