Friday, November 7, 2008

The Philosophy of John Dewey

The philosopher that I agree with most is John Dewey. Dewey’s main philosophy was to educate students by way of experience in society rather than pure lecture. He believed that students could learn in real life experiences. To learn math, students should cook and start to measure out proportions or should do word problems like how long it would take to get from point A to point B at a specified speed. I agree with John Dewey’s philosophy because I have found that I always retain the information that I acquire when I have an experience to go along with it. Like when I started cooking, I had to learn fractions and how to add them together. Sometimes I would not be able to find a ½ cup and would have to figure out that two scoops with a ¼ cup would be equivalent to a ½ cup. This made fractions easy and practical. Also, when I go to class, I do not typically remember the class itself; I remember what I conversed about or what activity we did, not what the teacher was lecturing. There are so many experiences in life, why not experience them instead of just taking in facts about them? As John Dewey said, “Education is life itself.” John Dewey: Philosophy of Education, http://wilderdom.com/experiential/JohnDeweyPhilosophyEducation.html http://thinkingwithshakespeare.org/Shakespeare/HOT%20Prompts/94Dewey.jpg

No comments: